Did You Know?
- UV Radiation can seriously damage your eyes. Click here to learn more
- A cataract is a cloudiness of the crystalline lens inside the eye.
- Every second, the human retina performs 10 BILLION computer-like calculations!
- Eyes utilize 65% of all the pathways to the brain.
- Most newborn babies have blue eyes.
- Recycle your old glasses!
Instead of throwing your old glasses away you can donate them to the Lions Club. They repair and clean used glasses [prescription and non- prescription for children and adults] and then distribute them to those in need.
We routinely collect these used glasses and give them to the Lions Club for you.
- Your eyes blink over 10,000,000 times a year!
- The average time between eye blinks is 2.8 seconds.
- Each eyelash has a life span of approximately 5 months.
- Of all the muscles in our body, the eye muscles are the most active.
- According to Newsweek magazine, reading glasses are one of the most important inventions of the past 2,000 years.
- Babies cry but do not produce tears until they are 1-3 months old.
- People started to wear glasses in the late 17th century as it was thought to portray class and intellect. As a result, even people who didn’t need glasses to see, began to wear them.
- Early eyeglasses were made of valuable rock crystal quartz in the late 14th century.
- Flying corks from champagne bottles can rupture an eyeball or cause a detached retina. This happens more often with bottles that haven’t been fully chilled, because the corks come out much more forcefully. To prevent injury, point the cork away from yourself and others while opening the bottle. Place a towel over the cork and keep your hand on it as you remove it with a twisting action, rather than by pushing under.